Monday, September 18, 2017

Black and White

Before Color....


My artistic journey began about 5 years ago when I decided to take a drawing class at our community college here in Aptos, a neighboorhood of Santa Cruz, Ca.  Drawing 101.... had me at the starting gate.  I had to learn the "lingo" . Words like contour, value, tone, contrast, perspective, among other terms shaped my learning experience.  I was a beginner. I started with charcoal, graphite, and the occasional white chalk ( an unknowing precursor to my current obsession!).  I drew and still do paint from observation.  I admire artists that can create from imagination.  For me, I haven't crossed that path yet.  I just wouldn't know where to put things on the paper!  I kept sketch books...there are many now in my studio, that are full of early sketches..

Drawing 101 led to Drawing 102 which led to figure drawing from a live model.  I still practice drawing the live model from a very accomplished artist here in Santa Cruz , Susie Wilson.  She is extremely talented, classically trained, and a delight to learn from. 

Below are some of my early charcoal and graphite works.  Enjoy!


Butterfly in Australia © Donna Gross


 Norman © Donna Gross


 Pelican on the Bluff © Donna Gross


 Anticipation © Donna Gross


 Moscow 8x10 © Donna Gross


Blackie © Donna Gross

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You are the most amazing artist I have ever had the privilege to encounter. Absolutely stunning!

Matt W said...

Love the pelican drawing! Awesome stuff!

Donna Theresa Fine Art said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! Keep coming back....more to come!

The Daily James

  "James" "Partners For Life" A bird can't preen its own head with its bill, so they use their feet to clean head fe...