Thursday, September 21, 2017

Resurrecting an old painting


"Crisp Autumn Evening" 8x10 © Donna Gross

Today was my "domestic chores" day.  A run to the pet store, the grocery store, the water store....My goal was to be finished by 12:30. Accomplished! After lunch it was time to give myself some studio time. While I was out doing my chores, I made a little detour to a local art store. I can't seem to get out of any art store with out a minimum of a $50 tab. Fifty four dollars was today's total which bought me four 18 x24 sheets of Mi Tientes Touch sanded pastel paper. They come in a variety of colors. I chose a light sky blue, a rich beige, warm brown, and black.  I didn't use any of those sheets of paper today. Instead I rummaged through some rejects and decided to try again with this autumn tree.
One of my goals as a pastel artist is to be loose with my marks. Try not to stay attached to the
reference image, and make decisions about use of color...move away from using local color.  Habits die hard. I don't feel I accomplished those goals today, but I did improve upon an old reject. For me, success means enjoying the process. After my "chores" today, I really enjoyed myself!



My reference photo

No comments:

The Daily James

  "James" "Partners For Life" A bird can't preen its own head with its bill, so they use their feet to clean head fe...