Tuesday, March 6, 2018

A Week's Worth!


Here is the still life set up  I used to render
"A Little Garlic and Onions Please"

" A Little Garlic and Onions Please"
Pastel 7 x 5 © Donna Gross

Available donnatheresafineart.com

"Late Summer #1" Pastel  12 x 9  © Donna Gross
Available donnatheresafineart.com
"On the Edge"  Pastel  12 x 9  © Donna Gross
SOLD   
Hello Friends,

It's been a busy week !  Making art continues to occupy most days for me.  On Tuesdays, I host an art social here at my home.  It's so fun to make art with other artists! Making art is primarily a solitary adventure .   That is a big attraction for me as I very much enjoy my own company! However, it's important to connect with other artists and share your work and encourage and support each other.
"Sapphire Plunge"  Pastel  11 x 9  ©  Donna Gross
Available contact artist





I was filling out a questionnaire for an art workshop I am about to take with my all time favorite pastelist, Marla Baggetta.  One of the questions was to describe to someone your art making process so that they could see it themselves through your description.
Here is my perfect day.....

~ How I Make Art~

I first decide on my subject matter.Usually I print out a photo reference because it is less saturated than a photo or something on my ipad. This keeps me from getting married to the reference. I then decide what size I want to paint. It may depend on if I have a frame in mind.  I head out to my little corner of heaven ( my garage studio) with cup of coffee, turn on either classical radio station or NPR … choose my paper which is either Uart sanded 9 x 11 or a Colourfix piece sized to my need. I usually have my pastels clean and put back in their trays . I use gloves because my fingertips get dry and cracked otherwise. I tape my piece to my easel board. I begin with a small thumbnail sketch on a piece of regular paper making a value study with four values. I then move to the sanded paper and start with a loose sketch of the major shapes. I then block in my dark values. Then my lightest lights . Then my middle values. I usually use a Nupastel stick for this stage using the color I want. However, I may block in a complimentary color for the middle values or even for the sky. Not often . Next I go back to the darks and add a few more dark colors to vary it and make it rich. Same for the lightest lights. Same for the middle values. Time to get up and stretch or walk away. Pet the cat. Whatever. Back at it, I start to add on things like sky holes for the trees. These are marks I make in the trees or shrubs that give the impression of the sky behind them. I dab my finger on these marks so they look like they are behind the tree or shrub instead of a christmas ornament hanging on the tree! I decide where my focal point will be. That is the place I want my viewer to look the most. I add on other detail but try not to get too detailed. That’s a tough one for me. I try to work all around the piece not just one area. ( another challenge for me) Now I look for the light. Where is the sun shining and on what? I begin to add the highlights. These marks will be the lightest on the whole piece. I may go back and reinforce some dark areas as well. Trying to get some contrast. Sometimes that contrast is dramatic , sometimes it is subtle. Depends on the subject matter. Now is time for the bells and whistles. Little marks that define areas. Lights between tree trunks….flowers or grasses in foreground...snowflakes on trees or falling from the sky.

This session can last anywhere from 2 to 4 hours. I usually paint alla prima. All at once. But sometimes a piece will stay on the easel for a day or 3.  When I am satisfied, I sign it!




























No comments:

The Daily James

  "James" "Partners For Life" A bird can't preen its own head with its bill, so they use their feet to clean head fe...