Sunday, December 31, 2017

Out of my Comfort Zone

"Helpers"  Pastel 9 x 11  © Donna Gross
Available donnatheresafineart.com
This piece is rendered from a photo I took while exploring Wilder Ranch here in Santa Cruz on Christmas Day.  I was struck by the composition of the broom with the large shovel and the wheelbarrow peeking around the corner.  The photo was grainy and dark and provided the mood I was going for.  The painting is rendered much lighter with color I added for interest.
This piece was a challenge to accomplish the subtle colors found in the wood and making that broom stick straight! I enjoy mixing it up....moving in and out of genre....landscape to still life...to figure and back again.  While I may not have an established genre of mastery, I am practicing with whatever interests me.  Writers write what they know about...Dancers dance to their abilities and physical faculties...Painters paint what they want to spend time looking at!

No comments:

The Daily James

  "James" "Partners For Life" A bird can't preen its own head with its bill, so they use their feet to clean head fe...