Thursday, February 8, 2018

Trying Something New!!

sketching in the library
"Waiting for the Light"  Pastel 9 x 12  © Donna Gross
Available contact artist
Early in January I journeyed by train from my home in Santa Cruz, Ca. to our state capitol, Sacramento.. My daughter was attending an externship with a state agency that oversees our state energy needs.  I had a day to spend walking about the downtown Sacramento area. 
As luck would have it, it was a very rainy day.  I took refuge in The California State History Library.  There I took off my soaked shoes and spent a couple hours sketching a sculpture ....
Back out on the streets, the rain had let up a bit and I began taking pictures of the cityscape.  I thoroughly enjoyed how the streetlights reflected on the wet asphalt.  So a few days ago, I decided it was time to try something new. Here is the result. I am very much out of my comfort zone with this piece.  So much detail and perspective...it was hard to keep any of it loose, which is how I usually like to work. I think there could be more to be done to loosed it up a bit. For now, I'll sit with it. 
You know how when you get your car washed and then it rains? Well, maybe it works for creating pieces of art too! We really need the rain here in Santa Cruz, California. Start the rain dance....

My photo reference


No comments:

The Daily James

  "James" "Partners For Life" A bird can't preen its own head with its bill, so they use their feet to clean head fe...